Public Forum: Are human and democratic rights under threat in Australia?
Join a free public forum asking the question “Is there a systematic threat to human and democratic rights in Australia today?”.
Date: Wednesday 13 November
Time: 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Where: The Wheeler Centre – 176 Little Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
There is no need to book.
The forum will consider:
- Workplace rights, the right to organise
- International Free Trade Agreements; sovereign rights
- Asylum seeker and refugee rights; rights of review and ASIO assessments
- The right of community protest; police and court injunctions
- Citizens’ rights; US/Australia electronic surveillance/military bases
- Legal rights; ‘war on terror’ laws
The forum will be chaired by Rob Stary, democratic rights lawyer with speakers including:
Ged Kearney – ACTU President
Anne O’Rourke – Vice President Liberty Victoria; Dept of Business Law and Taxation, Monash University
David Manne – Human Rights lawyer, Refugee and immigration Legal Centre
Humphrey McQueen – Historian and activist
For more information contact Lou on 0407 022 335 or Shirley on 0417 456 001.